When it comes down to choosing the best electric smoker it can often be a very long and hard decision. There are endless amounts of them on the market, it’s hard to know which one will work best for your needs. Luckily, I have put together an extensive guide that will help you make the best decision. This guide will provide you with all of the information that you will need to make an informed decision on your next smoker. Whether this is your first time buying one or you are simply adding a new one to your collection, this all-in-one resource will assist you on your journey to find the best electric smoker that fits your needs!
Picking the best electric smoker for your needs can be hard, but the chart below should make your life a little easier. It puts all of the basic information about each smoker in one place to streamline the research/buying process.
How Electric Smokers Work
Unlike most smokers that use combustion to heat up the wood chips and produce smoke, electric smokers use hot coils. These heat up the wood chips that end up producing all of the smoke that will cook whatever you are making. There are all kinds of different types of wood chips that you can burn that will provide a variety of different flavors. When these wood chips start to smolder it creates the smoke that will provide whatever you are cooking with a delicious flavor. Since these smokers use electric power to create the smoke, you will never have to tend to it to make sure the temperature stays constant, it will stay constant all by itself without any help from you.
Advantages of Using an Electric Smoker
- Convenience Factor – They are pretty much ready to go right out of the box, no need to fuss with getting a fire going and heating up your smoker. Just turn it on, take a seat in your lawn chair and wait for it to reach the desired temperature. It is as simple as that, then once the temperature is where it needs to be just place whatever you are smoking right into the smoker and let it do its thing. No need to monitor the temperature because that is all taken care of for you, it will maintain its desired temperature without any extra help from you. In terms of convenience, there is no match to electric smokers.
- Cost Effective – Not only can you pick up a high quality electric smoker for under $200, but you also save money by not having to pay extra money for fuel. Since it is electric you won’t have to buy propane, gas or wood to heat up your unit. All of the heat is produced from electricity which in the long run will save you a ton of money as well as countless runs to the store to pick up more fuel.
- Safe – Since their is no actual fire, you will never have to worry about fire hazards while smoking. This makes using an electric smoker a very safe machine to operate at all times.
- Easy to Use – One of the best advantages that it has over all of the other types of smokers is how stupidly simple they are to use. They are perfect for beginner since they don’t need to be babied while cooking. All you have to do is set the temperature, set the timer and relax. Then come back to some perfectly cooked ribs, juicy brisket or whatever you are smoking! When it comes down to it, there isn’t another type of smoker that can compete with electric smokers when it comes to ease of use.
What to Consider When Buying an Electric Smoker
If you are in the market for a new smoker, which I assume you are since you are reading this, then there are some important things that you should think about and consider before purchasing. You should be as prepared as possible before you go and make any decisions on which one you want. I will cover some of the most important things you should think about before making any purchases.
- Your Experience – Your experience with smokers and barbecuing in general will be an important factor to consider before buying. If you are a beginner you should try and buy a one that is simple and doesn’t require much skill to use. The good news for you is that almost all electric smokers are beginner friendly and can be used to make great food without too much skill needed.
- Price – There are a wide variety of prices for electric smokers, so knowing what price range you are in can make the buying decision a lot easier. There are plenty of good electric smokers for around $100 but the more you pay the more features it will come with. That is something that you are going to have to decide on, the price vs. the quality and features.
- Size of Smoker – This is going to greatly depend on what you plan on smoking, if you are planning on smoking full slabs of ribs then you better make sure that you get a big enough smoker that will accommodate your needs. On the other hand, if you are only going to be smoking nuts, fish, and other small items you can get a smaller, less expensive one. This is something that you should know before you make any sort of purchase because it is so important.
I am hoping that this guide I have put together has helped you decide on which electric smoker would be the best fit for you. I know it can be a hard choice and you are doing the right thing by researching. I would suggest that you take a look around the site and read the full reviews for each individual unit. This will provide you with more information about each different one. I am constantly updating this site with new reviews so if there isn’t a review for the a unit that you are looking at just let me know by sending me an email. I will gladly add a review for whatever you are looking at and I wish you the best of luck on your journey of buying an electric smoker. Safe smoking!