You may look at golf courses and marvel at the incredibly green golf courses. A lush-looking sports field may make you look at your own garden and wonder how you can achieve this look. Their secret is artificial turf grass.
Artificial turf is an artificial surface made of man-made materials to simulate the look of a lawn. Once the Windsor grass for professional sports teams, it has spread to the private sector and is popping up in homes and backyards near you. This happened for two main reasons: one, artificial turf quality has improved dramatically since the 1990s, and second, it requires less maintenance and landscaping. This makes it good for towns and cities that have to conserve water.
Artificial turf grass has several other benefits:
- Good for arid environments or those with little light.
- It can be used for indoor sports fields or putting greens.
- Good for people who cannot devote much time to garden work.
- Great for rooftop gardens.
- It can last up to ten years.
- Some artificial turf can allow optical fibers to be embedded in the lawn. This means that lighting or advertising can be embedded in the roof. This can allow for customized advertisements or offers.
There are also some downsides:
- In terms of backyard sports, the risk of injury is higher with artificial turf.
- Some lawn manufacturers use heavy metals, which can leach into groundwater.
If you're tired of mowing your lawn on the weekends or don't have the water to properly maintain your lawn, consider artificial turf grass. They look natural and may be better for your needs. Make sure, before you buy, that the product you get will help the environment, not harm it.